How to know what care you need
If you’re not sure where to start to get the right care in place, you can ask your local authority for help. Whatever your financial situation, the Adult Social Care team can help you to understand what type of care is the best fit for you.
Personal care means:
- Preparing medication
- Getting out of bed
- Using the bathroom
Home help means:
- Making the bed
- Paying bills and managing paperwork
Check with the regulator
All personal care providers in the UK have to register with the care regulator. This means they need to follow a strict code of conduct and have regular inspections of their service. Each of the UK regulators have a website where you can find a care provider and their latest inspection reports.
- England – Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- Wales – Care Inspectorate Wales
- Scotland – Care Inspectorate
- Northern Ireland – Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA)
Use our care search
Our database of care providers, care homes and home care, is free to use. Search for care in your area and contact the providers that best suit your needs.
If you are not sure what care you need or want a helping hand with contacting care providers, our Care Concierge team will be happy to help with this service."
Questions for care at home providers
- What background checks do your carers go through?
- Will I always have the same carer? What happens when they go on holiday or are sick?
- How will the carer get access to the house if I can’t let them in?
- What if I don't get on with my carer?
- What's the hourly cost and does this increase at weekends/bank holidays?
Questions for care homes
- Are there set visiting hours, or can I have visitors at any time?
- What happens if my care needs increase?
- Can I try the food before making my decision?
- What was the result of your most recent inspection?
- What plans do you have to ensure you're continually improving the environment for the residents?
Visit the Care Choices website to view or download their helpful checklists. These include key questions to consider when choosing a care service and cover care homes, dementia care, home care and more.
If you would like some expert advice on finding a new care provider, resolving a dispute or exploring funding options then you might benefit from talking with our Care Concierge team.
Paying for care
If you want to find out how you could pay for care, use our Care Costs Calculator.
Understanding your care options
Knowing your options before you need them can help you get the right care at the right time.
Find local help to you
Whether you need some help at home, or want to find out more about care homes in your area, our Finding Care tool can help.